Retirement Home Ministry
Each Tuesday, a dedicated group of parishioners visits nearby facilities for senior living, rehab, and long-term care. A mass or communion service is the centerpiece of the visit, but music, laughter, and relationship building are very important parts of ministry, also. If you would like to become a part of this very fulfilling ministry, please call Bevan Canale at (850) 837-0357.
Food Collection and Distribution
For over 10 years the Men of Resurrection (MORE) have been collecting food for our local Catholic Charities food pantry. Grocery bags are passed out after all weekend Masses with a list of needed items. Our generous parishioners and visitors return the bags filled with food and other requested items. The men delivered 1,022 bags to Catholic Charities last year.
In 2013, MORE and Catholic Charities partnered to send a mobile food pantry to DeFuniak Springs, an area limited in food pantry resources. The venture was an astounding success.
If you would like to help MORE with this ministry, volunteer opportunities are as follows:
- Passing out bags after Masses.
- Transporting filled bags from Resurrection to Catholic Charities in Fort Walton Beach.
- Monthly Distribution of food in DeFuniak Springs or Resurrection Parish, a 4-5 hours total time commitment.
To get involved, please contact the Parish Office at (850) 837-0357.
Advent Outreach/Children’s Gift Drive
The Sunday before the start of Advent, tags are hung on a Giving Tree in the Gathering Space asking for gifts (toys, clothing, etc.) for needy children identified by our sister parish, St. Francis of Assisi, Catholic Charities, St. Vincent de Paul Society and others in our community. Parishioners select tags, purchase the gifts requested, and return them to the trees. Contributions also can be made to purchase bicycles.
Helpers are needed to tend to the tags and gifts at each Sunday Mass during Advent. Two or three individuals oversee the sorting and safe storage of the gifts in the parish hall and the delivery of gifts and bikes. Others are needed to wrap and deliver gifts to a few of the local families the week before Christmas. If you would like to help with this Advent project, please contact the Parish Office at (850) 837-0357.
Community Response is a parish ministry that works with the St. Vincent de Paul Society and other local charitable organizations to provide temporary relief for parishioners in difficult situations and other South Walton people in need.
If you are interested in volunteering for any of these service opportunities, please contact the Parish Office at (850) 837-0357.
The Society of St. Vincent de Paul
Volunteer time investment is only 3-4 weeks per year. Weekly responsibilities include:
- Monitoring the toll-free number for assistance requests.
- Phone screening the clients to determine eligibility.
- Driving with a partner to the client’s home to interview the client, assess the situation and potentially provide help.
(An average week is 4-5 client calls.)
If you are interested in becoming a St. Vincent de Paul volunteer, please contact the Parish Office at (850) 837-0357.
Sister Parish St. Francis of Assisi (Blountstown, FL)
The objectives of our Sister Parish relationship are to help both parishes meet their spiritual, fellowship, educational and economic needs and to build an intercultural understanding of the global Church.
Resurrection and St. Francis
- Held two well attended “meet & greet” picnics at St. Francis in July 2013 and August 2014.
- Francis Youth attended the annual Antioch retreat with Resurrection youth.
- The two parishes swapped Pastors for weekend Masses in mid-February, and Resurrection’s second collections for that weekend were given to St. Francis to help them handle extraordinary needs.
- Volunteers from both parishes are helping a St. Francis family in need to fix structural issues with their homes. We will need several volunteers in September or October to complete this project.
- We will continue to look for ways to support St. Francis, possibly with clothing collections, coat and blanket drives, and school supply drives. Volunteers will be needed to collect and sort materials as well as drivers to transport the materials to Blountstown.
As we continue to build this relationship; a key need is to develop a sister parish steering committee with members of both parishes. For more information on the Sister Parish or to volunteer in any way, please contact the Parish Office at (850) 837-0357.